Monday, October 3, 2011

Shopping and a Fun Fair


After a long week of reading and lectures, my housemate Nikki and I decided to get out of Egham and go shopping in Windsor. We left Saturday morning after meeting another friend, Katie, at school and boarded the bus to Windsor. It took about 30 minutes to get to the high street and when we got off the bus we were immediately greeted with the stone walls of Windsor Castle.
High street with Castle in background


Windsor Castle
The shops are right off of the castle and the great thing about Windsor is that they have all of the clothing stores that I love with significantly less people shopping in them than on Oxford Street in London. I have a feeling that I will end up doing my clothes shopping in Windsor rather than in London in the future, it's much less chaotic. As it is a major tourist site in England, I was warned to keep an eye on my purse as pick-pockets are about. I had no problems though and once you get a ways down the high street you forget you are in such a touristy area. Windsor is a beautiful town with a lot of old buildings (there is one coffee shop called the "crooked house" that was built in 1718), greenery, and a beautifully long treelined walk up to the castle itself. The weather here still feels warm and my friends and I were wearing tank tops and shorts during Saturday's blistering 84 degree weather (let me assure you, that is VERY hot for England). 
After shopping for an hour or so we ate at a pub near the castle. We had a lovely meal and enjoyed views of the castle from the window by our table. 
inside the pub
Afterwards we walked through old fashioned sweet shops, got a few groceries, and even got some free paella from a restaurant offering tasters to passersby. 
paella!
Later that night after we arrived back in Englefield Green, the three of us decided to go to the "Steam fair" that was up on the green. It was a 1930-40's themed fun fair that played old music and had many old fashioned rides. We rode on the swings and Katie and Nikki rode the "dodgems" (bumper cars) and had candy floss (cotton candy). We capped the night off by sitting on the green and watching a fireworks show. It was a beautiful indian summers night and I enjoyed every minute of it. 
steam fair


swings that we rode

Nikki and I

Katie and Nikki on the dodgems






1 comment:

  1. What fun....

    Beth, Emily and I went to Windsor when we did the ten days in London trip.

    I agree it is a lovely town with history galore....we shopped, too....and I have a small pill box from the castle gift shop..

    Take care, my dear, and know I appreciate reading and enjoying your news.

    With much love, Addy

    ReplyDelete