Thursday, August 30, 2012

Olympic Fever



The Olympic games have come and gone, capping off a truly spectacular year for Great Britain. This year held Charles Dickens' 200th birthday, the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones, the 100-year anniversaries Bram Stoker and Oscar Wilde, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, AND the 2012 London Olympics. What a year. I really did have excellent timing when it came to being in the hottest possible spot on the earth in the year 2012. 

Olympics Stadium


London was hectic during the games but I have to say that I was really pleased with how well the transportation system held up under such enormous pressure and just overall with how the Olympic committee did with making London into an excellent venue for the games. It really could not have been better and the games were judged a swimming success in Britain. The real heros of the games were the thousands of volunteers throughout Britain who came together to give their time to make the games into something really special. Venues were spread out throughout the city, transforming London into one giant venue. People were on hand, in pink vests, everywhere to help guide tourists and to make sure that everyone got to where they needed to be safely. Like I said, I was thoroughly impressed and really proud of the British public and Londoners in general for how they ran the games. 

I did manage to attend one event: women's trampoline gymnastics. It was held at the North Greenwich arena which is actually only about a 10 minute bus ride from my flat. My flat is directly across the river from the Olympic village and when standing just up the hill from my flat you can see it. I really enjoyed attending an event (even if it was such an obscure one). I got to see a medal ceremony and just got to partake in the general olympic vibe. I got to cheer for someone I'd never heard of before simply because she was American and I got to interact with strangers based on our excitement and patriotic spirit. It was really a time for people of all nations to come together and I enjoyed every random train or bus conversation with Americans on holiday or living in London about our athletes. It is the reason that I love sports as much as I do, they are a way to get people excited about something that is bigger than them and to bring strangers together under a common interest. 
North Greenwich Arena








London 2012 was an experience that I will remember forever. I was lucky enough to get to live it day in and day out for two weeks, and even though it bred frustration at different points, it was a unique experience that I don't think will ever be relived again in the same way for me. It was a beautiful time in a beautiful city, and the olympic fever will continue to live on, at least until soccer season starts up again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment