Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My 23rd Birthday

Another birthday has come and gone leaving me only feeling older, and maybe a little wiser too. My birthday was on a Tuesday this year and being in the middle of the week, it felt anything but festive.

I started off the day and afternoon by studying; I know, happy birthday right? I was in the midst of researching for my first 5,000 word essay (about 16ish pages) and since that is the longest paper I've ever had to write, was feeling legitimately nervous that I wouldn't have enough extra source material to bolster my arguments. So basically I spent the week buried in papers and articles and reading like a mad woman. (I would just like to say to all of those people who think that I spend all of my time traveling and none at school, try flipping that idea around. You could not be more wrong! I even spent my birthday doing work!)

By late afternoon I was feeling fairly disheartened and thoroughly unexcited about the idea of my birthday; until Rachel and Nikki got home. The thing that I love most about these two girls is their ability to get excited about life; they have somehow managed to still have that child-like happiness and genuinely get excited about things, rather than me who tries to downplay my own excitement most of the time. As soon as they each got home the first thing they did was to literally run to my room, scream happy birthday with the biggest smiles on their faces, and hug me (followed by dancing, jumping, singing, or all of the above). That reaction in and of it self would have been enough for me but to top it the three of us and our other housemate, Meilin, went out to eat in Egham at a nice italian restaurant named Prezzo.
the four roomies
The dinner was amazing and we spent the entire dinner laughing; I even got a balloon and a piece of cake with candles on it. After the waiter and the girls sang me happy birthday, we happily ate our desserts and had a leisurely chat and sit at Prezzo. I am so thankful to have these girls in my life; they single handedly, and easily, changed my day from bad to great in a matter of minutes. It was a birthday that I will never forget because it was surrounded by new, caring friends. So, again, thank you Nikki, Rachel, and Meilin, from the bottom of my heart; you made my birthday a great one.
reading the most amazing, hand drawn card ever


blowing out my candles!

opening my present (i got a fuzzy, warm bathrobe!)


4 comments:

  1. Makes me happy that you had a happy birthday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday! I am glad that your day ended well. Today (11/16) is my dad' s birthday. May you continue to be amazed by the adventure that life lends itself to being. ~Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to celebrate with your friends....23 is an important milestone!!!
    You are the nicest, prettiest and dearest 23 year old young woman! I am pleased to be your friend!!! Addy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad your day turned out great, and glad to hear you are finally studying! :)
    Laura

    ReplyDelete