Friday, September 16, 2011

An Update from England



I bet that you all thought that I had dropped off of the planet by now but I assure you that I am safe and sound in Egham. I am freshly off of a week's vacation with my Dad and if the soreness in my legs is any indicator of how busy we were I would say that we accomplished a fair amount of sightseeing. We visited both London and Torquay, a city on the English riviera in SW England in Devon. We spent three nights in London and in that time we saw two plays, visited the British museum, ran errands, and took a day trip to Chartwell in Kent; how's that for three days?
Seeing Much Ado About Nothing at the Globe Theatre

London

Chartwell, Winston Churchill's home


Inside the British Museum

Inside of our atrociously small bathroom in the hotel (this includes a shower)

On Saturday we took the train to Torquay to attend the events of Agatha Christie week (for those of you who don't know, I'm a HUGE Agatha Christie fan). Dad and I attended this two years ago and it was such great fun that we wanted to catch a few days there as well. We stayed at the same b&b as we did two years ago and it was fun catching up with the owners, Chris and Janet. We only stayed for two days so we couldn't attend all of the events that we had hoped to but we did visit Christie's house, Greenway, which is on the River Dart near Dartmouth (20 miles away) and went on a murder mystery dinner play on a 19th century steam train. The train ran along the Devonshire coast from Paignton (the next town over) to Dartmouth and back. The cast put on a 1920's themed mystery show and they walked up and down the train's cars continually playing and replaying new scenes to help us figure out the whodunit. In the end nobody in my car got the answer right but we had so much fun gossiping and asking questions of the actors that no one minded. 
Dartmouth

In front of Greenway, Christie's home

Afternoon cream tea

in front of the Dartmouth steam train

on the train

                                                     Video of the actors on board the train

Dad and I had a fantastic time on our trip and the week simply flew by. He left me in Egham on Wednesday morning and he continued on with his journey and I am just beginning mine; more to come soon on the moving in process and life in an English village.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous that you're back in London while I'm behind a computer 50+ hours/week! Hope you're living it up.

    - Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mag, thanks for the update! Glad to know more about your adventures.

    Aunt Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUst today I am trying to use your blog site-thanks for sending me the birthday greeting. Hope you are getting settled. Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. my new email address is rolson924@gmail.com
    I can still use my old one too grandpa

    ReplyDelete