Tuesday, September 20, 2011

14 Cherrywood Avenue


I've been on my own for a week now and have been busy getting settled into my room at 14 Cherrywood avenue. I am living in a little village right next to Egham (a slightly bigger village) called Englefield Green; our high street (main street) consists of a pub, the Holly Tree, a convenience store, and a few odd restaurants. I also have quite an old looking church with a big cemetery next to it. The main high street where one can get a lot of groceries and do one's banking is in Egham, about a 15 minute bus ride away from my house.


 My room is on the first floor (second floor to us Americans); I have four housemates and four of the five rooms that we have are on the first floor. One person lives on the ground floor by our sitting room and I still haven't met this roommate yet. I will have two male housemates and two female. So far the ones who have moved in are Hassan (from Ghana), Nikki, and Rachel (both from England) and I've really been lucky in getting great housemates. All three have been really helpful in showing me around and I've spent a lot of time this week hanging out with Nikki and Rachel and getting introduced to their friends. It was starting to get a bit lonely not knowing anyone so I'm so grateful for their friendliness and it makes all the difference in helping me to get settled. In future posts I will expound more profusely about the obstacles and the differences that I face in day to day life as a result of being new; already there are alot!

entering my house


I will now attempt to give you a photo tour of my house:
my kitchen complete with washing machine, oven, and stove

A fridge and freezer for 5 people; these are the sizes of a mini fridge each

my backyard

our shower/bathroom again for 5 people
inside my room (i now have a bookshelf by my bed

my desk; my room is now cleaner too :)
At first I was unsure about my house and whether I would like living here but I've come to realize this week that I will be just fine. The more and more that I have put together my room the cozier it becomes. Cherrywood is not quite home yet but it is well on its way to becoming it.






10 comments:

  1. And I thought my Minneapolis apartment was small! A washing machine in the kitchen? That's pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Privet Drive fully occupied?

    -Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick- it was quite a shock at first but now i'm used to it. everyone is always up in everyones business at all times ha ha. but it works.

    Bernard- sadly, yes but my uni looks like a pseudo-hogwarts so that counts for something

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures, Maggie! I'm glad everything is going well for you and can't wait for more updates.

    -Catie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggie - enjoying your post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie - the anonymous post is from me...Auntie Kathy. :) I can't figure out who to log in otherwise, so I will sign my posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you are settling in. Coming from the land of giants and wide expanses the kitchen alone looks like a coffin for 5 people to occupy and use everyday. At least you don't have to share your bedroom so you can find some peace when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember those old wall phones from my childhood....gram0

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have all my big kettles out making applesauce and tomato sauce...do you have room to roll lefse?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh i wish Grandma, I miss making it! but sadly we don't have room.

    ReplyDelete