Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Visitor From Home

I was lucky enough to host my friend Rachel McLean for the last two weeks and after putting her on a plane for Fargo yesterday, I'm already feeling a bit lost without her. We spent a few days wandering the streets of Paris before returning to London and Egham for the remaining week of her trip. While we were in London we tried to visit places that neither of us had been to during our semesters living in the city and it was nice to get off the well-beaten tourist paths of Westminster, Notting Hill, or the West End.
Palais du Luxembourg- Paris

Parc Butte Chaumont





We visited areas such as Greenwich, Little Venice canals, and Old Street- Rachel's old stomping grounds. The trip was full of gorgeous views of London (and Paris) and we were lucky to have absolutely beautiful and warm weather. It is rare in London or Paris to have completely clear and blue skies but we had day after day of 50 degree weather with nothing but sunshine. After the disastrous weather that the two of us have experienced while travelling together in Dec/Jan in Europe we felt that good karma was finally coming our way. 
Maritime Museum of Greenwich


Gorgeous view of the Skyline from the Eastern Edge of London

Prime Meridian

Little Venice
There is nothing that I love more than strolling the streets of London but we had worked into our busy schedule a few days in Egham and so for the last 6 days of her trip Rachel stayed at my house in Cherrywood to recoup and relax after a hectic week of touring. It is always an adjustment to go from the busy bustle of the capital to the semi-lifeless streets of Egham but I think we both appreciated the down time. I did take her to see some of the local sights such as Egham high street, Windsor, and Staines. I also took her to my favorite local pub, the Happy Man, for a night out. 

We also took a day trip to Canterbury, a town in the south east which neither of us had been to. I always love a trip to Kent so off we went and three train connections later we were there wandering around the Norman and medieval streets. We visited the Canterbury Cathedral which dates all the way back to 597AD when Augustine came to England and established a monastery on the premises. The cathedral then became the last stop on the Canterbury pilgrimage route after the murder of Saint Thomas Becket in 1170, which should be familiar to everyone thanks to Chaucer. The Archbishop of Canterbury is considered the most important position in the Anglican church and he is integral in events such as coronation ceremonies for past and present kings and queens of Great Britain. The city is full of terribly old buildings at every turn and I could really feel the ancientness of the place, primarily because all of the buildings and doorways were built for people who were about 5 foot 5 or shorter; needless to say the past centuries were literally in my face every time I entered a building.
Canterbury high street


Canterbury Cathedral



The doors may be Rachel sized, but definitely not made for me

gorgeous canals in Canterbury

ruins of Canterbury Castle

Rachel and I ended our trip quietly back in Egham and now she is back home safe and sound while I begin my second term of my master's degree. It is really nice to see all of my uni friends again as everyone flocks back to campus but I am feeling the loss of my very best friend. It is funny how something can feel so right and effortless; the two weeks whizzed by and despite sleeping in very cramped quarters in my tiny room, it felt like Rachel was simply just always supposed to have been there. It is rare in life to have someone who has been such an influence in your life for as long as she has been in mine and this trip really opened my eyes as to how much I truly, truly miss her. Maybe someday we will both be in England studying together but for now I suppose visits once a year will have to be enough. The world is increasingly getting smaller and smaller with the advents of skype, facetime, or text messaging but nothing will ever beat one on one time for me. Her visit was perfect and no one got sick this time! I am so looking forward now to my future visitors to the UK and Europe, particularly my upcoming visits from my dad and Heidi; now all I have to do is wait. I so enjoy showing off my area of the world and hope that each and everyone of you will consider a visit; it is so worthwhile and gives me indescribable joy. England is a magical place and there is an air mattress and an extra comforter in Egham calling each and every one of your names.




1 comment:

  1. How great to have a friend that dear!!

    Your visit to Paris and London was thrilling just reading about it!!

    Again, thanks for sharing your European life with me....

    ReplyDelete