Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Trip to Roman and 18th Century England

For months now I have tried in vain to visit the city of Bath in Somerset, which is in the Western part of England. Finally on Saturday, December 3rd, my friend Emily and I took a day trip to Bath. Bath is the second most touristed city in England (after London) and it is famous for hosting the site of the Roman bath and spas from the first century AD. The city is also famous for its 18th century architecture and for being featured in multiple Jane Austen novels such as Persuasion and Northanger Abbey (both of which I highly recommend reading).
Pulteney Bridge, Bath

Bath Abbey

The Pump Room

The Spa Water 
On first arriving in the city, Emily and I immediately realized that we were by no means alone in our idea of visiting Bath; the city was jam-packed and literally we inched along the narrow and windy pre-industrial era streets. We wandered past Bath Abbey, which is a magnificent Gothic church and made our way through the Christmas market (though we couldn't actually stop and look at the stalls, that would have impeded moving traffic). We walked through the Pump Room, known for pumping water from the spa up to the surface for people to drink (it was thought to improve health). We did not try it though; Charles Dickens famously described it as "warm, flat, iron-water" so we thought our health would probably be more hurt than helped and avoided it. Now the Pump Room functions mainly as a rather posh restaurant serving afternoon tea (which is very popular in Bath).
Christmas Market

Inside Bath Abbey

This Video shows Carol Singers Outside the Abbey

After having lunch we went to the Roman Baths museum and toured through the property. Included in the tour was an excellent, and comical, free audioguide and in parts of the tour Bill Bryson's audio comments were featured which was thoroughly enjoyable. The guide was a bit comical as it featured a "Celtic Briton" living in Bath during Roman times as well as a highly excitable Englishman, both giving over the top accounts of life in Roman Bath. I couldn't help but turn to Emily after having a listen and reenacting some funny line I had just heard in a thick Scottish accent. The museum featured Roman artifacts from the area and pieces of the exterior temple walls, which were dedicated to Minerva. We were then brought to the Roman Baths themselves. The thing that I found so wonderful about the museum was that we were allowed to get as close as we wished to the baths without going into them. Thus, I was able to reach in and feel the warmth of the hot springs and sit right next to it on the old Roman 1st Century ruins and imagine what it would have been like then. People just sort of lingered, taking photos, resting, and enjoying the beautiful English sunshine. It was one of the most beautiful and tranquil spots that I have ever been to. 
Roman Baths Museum

Gorgeous beyond words

Emily touching the water


So close I could be in it!

 After the museum we headed for one other museum that I had been dying to see: the fashion museum! The museum is known as one of the best of its kind in Europe and it features clothing from the 18th century onwards, focusing mostly on the 19th and 20th centuries, which I was thrilled with. 
Dresses from the 1820s and 30s

From the 1840s

Bowler and Top Hats
As the day winded down and we grew weary, we refreshed ourselves with a cup of tea and headed off for our 2.5 hour train ride home. The sun had set and the Christmas lights adorning the high street were in full form, reminding me that Christmas is just around the corner. If you get the chance to visit England, make Bath a stop on your list (but avoid holidays and Saturdays); You could never be disappointed with this truly beautiful gem of a city. I am so fortunate to only be 2 hours away and I do plan on returning as I only just managed to scratch the surface of Bath and the beautiful county of Somerset.
Rugby Match in Bath

Bath High Street




1 comment:

  1. Maggie.....I felt as if I had visited Bath through your very descriptive narrative. Indeed what a beautiful spot. Your year in England is more than academic....all the side trips are educational as well.

    Asked your grandma the last time I talked with her if she was going to Ireland....I believe she is hopeful!!

    Have a great holiday with your friend, Rachel....your Christmas greeting from me will be somewhat late as the line at the PO was such I would never had made it to the window before closing. Will try again on Monday....

    Take care, know I love you....and look forward to your next posting. Addy

    ReplyDelete